Monday 14 January 2008

Back To The Pointe..


..Literally! So my good intentions of posting are already beginning to fade but here I am! Do you ever just find it hard to narrow down what you want to write / remember?! Well I am 'back to the pointe' by posting and literally because I was back to ballet this week.

Yes, feeding my unhealthy habit of suffering in the name of art has resumed for 2008. I am not a dancer but for whatever reason I keep struggling on with the occasional class in the hope I will make peace with it. After a 2 year break from taking some ballet classes I started again with a new 'youth company' in Dublin .... Russian technique .. Russian costumes ... Russian ballet star teachers - what was I thinking?! A little out of depth perhaps but thanks to the stunted growth of ballet development in Ireland generally not as intimidating (yet.. we hope!) as it could have been elsewhere! So there I am ... traveling every few weeks to rehearse and lessen my guilt about my attempts at quitting ballet and never practicising (ahh red shoes I'm sorry! I love you really don't hurt me! If you are not familiar with that epic Moira O'Shearer drama I apologise) .

Class was fine this week ... you know considering I did pointe for the first time in months, had a 4 week break where I possibly ate my own body weight in turkey and chocolate and I seem to have some sort of chest infection which caused me to be sick (charming) and get sent home early - oh the shame! Now I feel less like a lithe and elegant creature of beauty (see photo: aurelie dupont of Paris Opera) and more like a stiff old woman, possibly with a hunchback, and in need of a cane. We may hope next rehearsal I will be better prepared - tape around the toes, satin on the toe of my pointe shoes victim of a cheesegrater etc etc. Until then I should look for a job? or continue to procrastinate! either way I have a 3 day modern dance workshop this week so we will see how that goes for a break from the norm.

In other news, the weekend wasn't all ballet. I had a nice time in Dublin with a .. well friend I suppose! And saw some family

Until next time! xx

No comments: