Saturday 26 January 2008

This temp work would be alright if you call me!

hello!

So my insomnia appears to not be a passing phase! I thought while I was awake I might as well post on my blog which I have been meaning to do for aaages now.
So - since the last time: not a lot has happened! A lot of my dance committments didnt happen and I just wasted a lot of energy trying to find out from doctors why I feel so bad in order to ensure I dont have a repeat being sick performance in ballet this Sunday.... I'll be sure to tell you how that goes!
Temp work has resumed for 2008. Oh yes! Having taken the maximum amount of 'natural' sleeping pills last night I awoke to very puffy red eyes ... hot. Invariably running late, ran out the door in ten minutes to make the best impression on my new employers!!!!!
Fortunatley arriving in my new office surroundings I realised I didnt have much to worry about in the professional dress code stakes. I won't bitch honestly (ha...) but well what use is the blog if I can't vent?
The people are all very lovely and welcoming (which is helpful but for 6 days work not that crucial) but seriously some of the style I was seeing... I didn't even think such clothes were still in exsistence! They must have been early 90s wardrobe revivals. Por ejemplo...
Meet the 'Chief Executive's P.A' - a high powered job, lots of pressure and intensely busy. She wheels a cart of toilet rolls through the office guldering a 'Hello!' to me as she passes. Are they.... leggings?! Leggings or trousers?! A debate I continued for the rest of the day.. whatever they were, they were a rather distinct shade of mid brown with an oh so pretty pattern of cream flowers. And! Just to be sure we are matching, a slightly too tight brown polo neck and cream gilet. At one point, post toilet roll excursions brown flowery treggings sat for a break in the middle of the office stair case. Mind you, Mr. Chief Exectuive himself was wearing a navy polyester suit.
I won't continue ... I met over 20 colleages so you can use your imagination. The best dressed was possibly the cleaning woman who arrived to work with the most bling and makeup I have ever seen under her overalls ... now that is personal style! Monday poses a slight wardrobe dilemma however ... try and find some Cat boots and stonewash denim?? Im not sure I ever owned either never mind treggings!
The offices are pretty dingy and run down which is a pity because the work this company does is admirable and quite important in Belfast. However, it would appear they are very reliant on a lot of funding and grants and their working conditions clearly suffer as a result. The only way I can think to describe it was like the inner bowels of an old church vestry or something. Walls painted a charming shade of nicotine yellow with an uplifting cloudy, probably raining, sky blue in the 'staff room'. A garden trellice seperates my reception area (a desk) from the office (some more desks) and a blinking flourescent tube, which seems to be so old its more of a sepia tone really, provides our only light source for 8 hours.
Despite all my apparent cynicism I'm glad to have a job for next week... more experience or something... ok and basically money I wasn't expecting and could do with!

I'm feeling tired now I hope its a sign of sleep! I promise to nobody in particular to post after Dublin.

xx

No comments: