Sunday 6 January 2008

Remembrance

On the 6th January we remember you. Today feels like our true first day of the year, now that we have got through your week.

I spoke today with my sister as we tried to remember our favourite music of 2007 (see Rock En Seine and Damo the legend!) and looked forward to this year's.. any ideas!? We are just back from a fleeting (one night!) visit to London where, culture vultures that we are, we dined extravagantly and saw rsc's production of King Lear with Ian McKellan, Sir.

It was.... well, quite intense! 2 hours before an interval and over 3 hours in total, that is what I call some real Shakespearean drama! But, all that aside, we really enjoyed it. I am a huge fan of the theatre but I have not experienced much Shakespeare if I am truthful but I believe this was a pretty good place to start! It's probably something you would never do again but will never forget you did. We all agreed we responded to the play in different ways. I looked at (apparently) more 'key dramatic moments' and the style of acting, whereas sister was curious about whether Shakespeare in his own mind ever considered the background to his characters which affected their characteristics. The, not so very old but wise (maybe not so very wise either... haha I joke!) Mama said she connected with it differently as she was relating more to the foolish side of old age that Lear's character portrays ... don't we sound so intellectual! Overall though I think it is testimony to the production that we all could take so much away from the performance. I won't bother boring any longer and just finish with a cliched.. it was fabulous!
Oh and Sir Ian bears all (the brief nudity - not so brief). Something that may forever taint Gandolf for you but if you still find the old charmer ravishing at 69 (give or take, maybe 68) ... he does not disappoint shall we say! His acting skills I mean ... what were you thinking?!

Enough of that... in other news I bought my much lusted after Becca cosmetics in Harvey Nichols (don't worry... we acted very ab fab just to remind ourselves we can't actually afford anything in triple figures there) before we left. A trip well spent! Theatre, steak bearnaise and makeup... could I ask for more?

xx

p.s I love you

No comments: